State of California New Vaccination/Immunization Information
Dear H.C.S. Parents,
Many of you have asked how the new California vaccination law, SB 277, affects you and your student. The following is information we have received from the California Department of Public Health website: http://www.shotsforschool.org/laws/exemptions/.
Starting in September, 2016, SB 277 states in part:
- All newly enrolled Jr. Kindergarten or Kindergarten students are required to be vaccinated in all public and private schools prior to being able to start school in September.
- This does NOT apply to currently enrolled H.C.S. students.
- New students enrolling in Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten will no longer be permitted to use the personal beliefs exemption for immunization.
- Currently enrolled H.C.S. students are permitted to use the personal belief exemption, as long as it was/is submitted before January 1, 2016.
- The personal belief exemption will remain valid until a student reaches 7th grade.
Since this is a state law that applies to public and private schools, H.C.S. is required to enforce it.
For more information about SB 277, please see the Frequently Asked Questions available at their website: http://www.shotsforschool.org/laws/sb277faq/.
For more information about school immunization requirements and resources, please visit the California Department of Public Health’s website at www.shotsforschool.org, or contact your local health department or county office of education.
Please feel free to contact your health care provider if you have any questions, including what form you need for a medical exemption.